Graubünden - Culture of Construction

alt_title_logo Kantonsbibliothek Graubünden
Chantun Grischun
Cantone dei Grigioni
The Late Gothic Period
back to overview

Reformierte Kirche St. Florinus*

7556 Ramosch
Exquisite Late Gothic complex with the most beautiful wall tabernacle in the Engadine.

One of the oldest parish churches in the valley, referred to in 930. Church destroyed in 1499, rebuilt in 1522 by Bernhard from Poschiavo; renovated around 1750 by Jakob Johannes Walser; new church lower-pitched roof after fire in 1880; interior renovation from 1907-08, exterior restoration in 1999.

The excavation of 1966-67 revealed the layout of the previous church, which apparently had existed until 1499: Carolingian triapsidial choir with an atrium, as well as northern and southern annexes. The Late Gothic church assumed the approximate dimensions of the older complex, which is why the nave appears wider and the diminished polygonal choir more compact than in other Late Gothic buildings. South of the façade, tower constructed with evenly laid stones devoid of a plaster finish, probably from 13th century, the two upper storeys are more recent; tent roof from 1926 based on plans by Nicolaus Hartmann Jr. Terraced buttresses around the exterior construction; round-arched main portal with a blind keel arch.

In the nave and choir, stellar vault with painted keystones: bust portrait of Saint Florinus, Christ’s head, roses, and other items. In the vault gores, tendril and flower paintings; in the choir vault, the coat of arms of the Moor family from 1522. Tracery windows. Triple-axes stone gallery in the west bay with tracery balustrade above pitch-arched arcades. Louis XVI organ from beginning of 19th century, attributed to Andreas Mauracher; restoration in 1988.

Late Gothic wall tabernacle adorned with painted Early Renaissance depictions of an aedicule, which includes an interpretation of the Lord’s Supper by Dürer, above is the triumphant Christ, accompanied by two angels with instruments of torture.

Polygonal stone pulpit with flame-shaped tracery from 1522, pulpit sounding board from 1706. Late Gothic stalls; sedile with shallow carvings and the coats of arms of the League of God’s House and the Grey League (?), as well as of the Scher Family; further family stalls from 1670, 1679 and 1701. Grave plaques from 17-19th centuries.

(Kunstführer durch Graubünden, Hg. Gesellschaft für Schweizerische Kunstgeschichte. Eng. translation of the title: Art Guide of Graubünden, ed. Society for the History of Swiss Art, Zurich 2008. This book has only been published in German.)